Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A Tepid Return

Last night I hopped on my recumbent bike (a $50 bargain from my neighbor). I rode 3.44 miles in about 25 minutes. 8.3 mph is not great, but considering I have done n.o.t.h.i.n.g. since June 2012, I'll take it.

I purchased the bike towards the end of last year, but I've been avoiding it. I can't run right now, and that depresses me to no end. A significant jaunt will leave my knee sore and stiff, so a true run is completely out of the question. My physical therapist said I could probably bike for 20-30 minutes without a problem. Of course, I haven't seen my PT since October due to some insurance issues because of the sale of my company. So as the days dragged on, and I moved further and further away from the advice, I worried that a ride would end in pain, and I still would not be able to exercise.

Truth be told, my knee was sore yesterday. I'm a little bummed out, but I'm hoping that it just needs a bit of strengthening. My insurance is STILL being sorted out right now (almost 4 months later!), but once everything is settled, I'll be able to return to PT. Between that, the bike, and some yoga, I'm hoping my knee will be strong enough to train for the Brookhaven Bolt again this year. I'm also considering the Peachtree Road Race, though last year ended so poorly for me, I'm not sure I'm emotionally ready to try again. I have a few weeks left to decide, though.

In other news, I've started updating a blog I created last year. Basically it's a blog for book reviews, so I can keep track of my reading and write just a little bit. My goal is to read 52 books in 2013. I think I read maybe 6 or 7 last year? And that includes a certain book series that I don't think is necessarily appropriate to discuss in polite company. So check out the blog, if you'd like. Or don't. I doubt it'll be very interesting to anyone but me.

No comments:

Post a Comment