Tuesday, February 28, 2012

More Notes on Last Week

CLEAN EATING
I pretty much cooked or ate leftovers every night last week. I started with an ambitious Buffalo Chicken Mac & Cheese (which is not terribly WW friendly, but in small portions it's alright - and it's definitely one of the tastiest things I've made in a while). Then I tried a clean eating Loaded Bowl. I messed up both recipes by forgetting ingredients, but I think they turned out alright. Then last night I made a Lasagna Soup which was absolutely delicious, WW friendly, and probably my new favorite comfort food.

Eric has been really supportive of my clean eating efforts. We went grocery shopping together and he didn't balk at the price of organic meats and cheeses. Neither of us thinks it's realistic to eat clean foods 100% of the time, but we both agree that there can't be a negative side effect of doing it as often as possible.

YOGA
I went to yoga for the first time in months on Tuesday. It felt wonderful, and I was surprised at how well I did. I haven't lost all of my "flexibility" (like I ever had any), but there is and has always been room for improvement. The class itself was perfect and I left smiling. I was sore for a good two days afterward, but the good kind of sore where you can feel your body changing.

RUNNING
Lastly, I did a C25K workout on the road Sunday afternoon. I've always done my workouts on the treadmill because a) it makes me feel faster, b) it's easier to track stats like mileage and c) I'm not sure why but I feel more confident in the gym than in public. BUT. I think I'm going to make running on the road a weekly habit. Firstly, there are hills, which should be incorporated into my running anyway. And secondly, I really felt like my workout went by so much faster. It didn't, and in fact I was a good 30 seconds slower per mile, but the weather was perfect, the neighborhood is gorgeous, and it was just one of the most pleasant experiences I've ever had while working out. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to do days 1 and 2 of the week in the gym, and make a habit of doing day 3 on the road over the weekend. I'll plan it and look forward to it like distance runners do with their long runs.

ALSO! I've talked Eric into running with me. I don't think I'm ready for him quite yet, but in about 2 or 3 weeks I'll be at a point where I should be able to run 10 minutes at a time. As a couple, we've had a love/hate relationship with exercising together. Two years ago, when we first started dating, we used to hike together a lot. We never timed ourselves or worried about improving. We would just spend 2 hours on the trail at Stone Mountain talking. It was GREAT. And studies show that couples who exercise together form better bonds. Plus sides all around. But then I got the genius idea to start training for a 5K, and having never run before, I was really hard on myself. Like, REALLY negative. And it wasn't much fun for Eric to be around anymore. I was embarrassed about how out of shape I was, and I would get frustrated at the slightest misstep. God forbid my earphones fell out, or I accidentally hit stop on the treadmill resetting the stats.

I'm not training for anything now. I'm just losing weight, trying to get healthy, and I think that's something Eric can help me with, be supportive of, and reap the benefits at the same time. And he's already proven to be super amazing, telling my how proud he is every time I finish a workout (and especially if it's on a weekend and I did NOT want to get out of my PJs). He even said he'd run with my in NC over the weekend, just to help motivate me to do it.

So pretty much, even though I totally sabotaged my weight loss efforts with wine, I had a pretty positive week. And that's what I wanted to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment