Tuesday, December 2, 2014

2014 Resolutions Recap - This Should Be Fun!

Well. It's Decemeber, and I haven't posted since...January 7. HA! So I thought I'd pop in and give a little update. How'd my resolutions go?


1. Stay organized so I don't have the urge to buy things.


This has actually gone pretty well. E and I spent the month of January purging our closets, our books, our kitchen. We got rid of anything that didn't serve a purpose, from clothes that didn't fit, to appliances we didn't use, to books we hated from college. We moved in July, and we've tried very hard to fill our new home with only items we love, while keeping the house itself clean and tidy.

As far as clothes go, I've still gone shopping a bit, but I've tried very hard to keep my wardrobe as pared down as possible. It's a struggle, since I definitely get an emotional high from buying new things, but I've really been buying more intentionally so I know I'm on the right track.

I signed up for StitchFix a few months ago, and I'm loving it. It sounds crazy, but I think it's helped me spend less. Because I'm staying organized, and only buying what I love, I always know what I have. I can tell the stylist what I'm looking for to fit into my wardrobe, and then I wait to see what I get. There have been several times I've walked around Target or Banana Republic and wanted to purchase an item, but I've stopped myself because I want to wait for my "fix" first. I will only purchase something when I'm out if I truly LOVE it, or if I "need" it to fill a hole in my closet, like a black t-shirt or something. Then, because the clothes from StitchFix are higher quality, but more expensive, I'll also only purchase the items that I LOVE from them. So I'm filling my wardrobe with things that look great on me, and that work with other pieces that I already own, and I'm not just making impulse purchases of items I'm ready to get rid of a month later.

All of that being said, staying organized and buying less is still a big priority for me in 2015.

2. Eat more whole foods and cook at home every night (eat out no more than once a week per meal*).

Well, once we moved to the grocery store wasteland, keeping our house stocked with fresh produce became difficult. However, since I work from home 2-3x per week now, I have lots of time to cook, so we really eat at home almost every night. I eat lunch at home when I'm working there, but when I go into the office, I like to take full advantage of my face to face time with co-workers, so I end up eating at the local cafe. I do try to make healthy choices, and grab a huge salad filled with TONS of fruits and veggies 9 times out of 10. It's not great on my wallet, but it's worth it for the extra fellowship time. 

3. Take Johnny for more walks - at least 3 times per week and at least 6 miles total per week. C'mon now. You have no excuse.

Well, I had no excuse, and this still didn't work out. Johnny goes for walks almost weekly, ranging from 1.5 to about 3 miles. We live close to a big park where we go on Sundays for the Farmer's Market, and we walk to the locally owned pet store for bi-weekly baths. So, we're doing better than when we lived in the apartment, but not nearly as great as we could be doing.

4. Write more (400 words per day, 5x per week).

Have you seen the blog? Did you read that first paragraph? Yeah. No, this hasn't happened. Clearly. I did write a short story on my beach trip though!

5. Read more (26 books at least).

I did not read 26 books. I read a few, especially during my beach week, but still not enough.

6. Do your G-D PHYSICAL THERAPY OR ADMIT THAT YOU WILL AMPUTATE YOUR LEG IN 10 YEARS, DUMMY.

Yeah. They're going to have to amputate my leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment