Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Reflections for the New Year

It's been a while. Hello. 2013 seemed like a banner year for me. I got a great promotion at work, Eric and I signed a lease for our 3rd year, and then I applied for and was offered what seemed like a dream job. I saw a posting on Facebook the other day that said "When something goes wrong in your life, just yell 'Plot Twist'!"

Um.

PLOT TWIST.

I lost my job. I've been working on a post about it for a few weeks, but it's hard to really organize my thoughts and write a compelling but structured post about it. Let's just say, so far in my life, losing my job is the absolute worst thing that's ever happened. I know there are worse things yet to come, but SO FAR, this has been the absolute worst.

Trying to keep from tumbling into a deep depression, I'm forced to find the silver lining, and lucky for me, there have been a few glaring ones.

1. I'm surrounded by the most amazing and supportive people on the planet. I don't know how I got to be so lucky, but it's true.
2. I've learned a v.e.r.y. important lesson in finances. Make savings a priority. Seriously. Just do it.
3. Living under-employed, while absolutely terrifying, has been kind of relaxing. I work about 20-30 hours a week at a lovely wine shop. My hours permit me to spend some time at home getting the house in order. I've had a chance to spend a lot of time with Eric (who has been AMAZING).

I'm terrified that eventually I will run out of money, and I won't be able to pay my bills. That's a very real possibility. But, you know, hopefully that won't happen.

As for 2014, aside from getting a full-time job, here are my resolutions:

1. Stay organized so I don't have the urge to buy things.
2. Eat more whole foods and cook at home every night (eat out no more than once a week per meal*).
3. Take Johnny for more walks - at least 3 times per week and at least 6 miles total per week. C'mon now. You have no excuse.
4. Write more (400 words per day, 5x per week).
5. Read more (26 books at least).
6. Do your G-D PHYSICAL THERAPY OR ADMIT THAT YOU WILL AMPUTATE YOUR LEG IN 10 YEARS, DUMMY.

*This applies for when I do start making money again. I have a bad habit of "needing" Mexican food or Olive Garden on the regular.

No comments:

Post a Comment