Monday, July 25, 2011

Birthdays!

When I was a kid I LOVED my birthday because of all the presents.  Every year was like Christmas (which was cool, because we were Jewish, so didn't really get to have Christmas too often).  I have a very specific memory of my 9th birthday, waking up at 7:00 a.m., bounding down the stairs, and begging my mom, who was already making breakfast, to let me open my gifts.  That year all I wanted was a box of different colored threads to make friendship bracelets.  A decade later, all I wanted was an iPod.

Funny how things change.

I turned 26 last year, and it was a wild ride.  My boyfriend snuck (sneaked?) a real-life deep dish Chicago pizza through airport security, my best friend bought me brown leather cowboy(girl) boots, and my parents bought me a Netbook (which was later exchanged for an iPod shuffle and some cold hard cash).

As my 27th birthday approaches (they seem to come faster and faster every year, don't they?), I can think of a million things I want.  A quality yoga mat, tons of DVD sets, clothes (clothes, and more clothes!), shoes, jewelery.

What I asked for though, and what my generous parents are giving me this year is my registration to the Athens Half Marathon.
It takes place the weekend of October 22-23.  Do you know what that means?  Training starts now!

PLAN (Based on Hal Higdon's Novice plan) for the week of 7/25/2011:

Monday: 3 mile easy run/walk
Tuesday: 20 min run & Yoga
Wednesday: 2 mile run
Thursday: 3 mile run
Friday: Rest
Saturday: 4 mile run
Sunday: Yoga or Rest

---

But birthdays aren't all about presents, of course.  To me, birthdays represent a clean slate and a chance to reflect on the previous year.  So I'll have a less materialistic birthday post closer August 8.

---

In other news, my computer is fixed, and I did an engagement shoot with a lovely couple last weekend, so I have tons of photos to edit and post!  They'll be going up over at jenhofstetter.blogspot.com sometime this weekend.

I'll try to check in again around Friday for an update on my training progress.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment